Friday, July 29, 2011

6 Days Til Surgery...

Well, I've figured out how to post pictures now, so I'm going for a test run today. To the right of this entry, you should see a diagram given to me by my plastic surgeon with sketches to indicate the changes he will be making.
I'm going to try to explain the diagram as well as I can.
First, I'll explain the drawings on the left side of the diagram.
He described the lower lid as having a tendon like a hammock. When a hammock is strung between two trees, you can raise it by pulling on either end. That's what he'll be doing with the tendon in my lower lids.
Also, tucked under and inside the lower lid is a muscle that has a tendency to pull the lower lid down. The goal here is to raise my lower lid, so he will be removing this muscle.
Finally, he will be stitching the outer and inner corners of each eye so that the cornea has less exposure to elements such as wind, dust, air, etc. He will only close the lids as much as he feels is necessary to protect my eyes. He will NOT be interfering with my tear ducts.
The right side of the diagram shows what he'll be doing to promote the healing process.
After surgery, he will make a stitch in my lower lid and pull it up to my brow line and connect it with a stitch there. This will help my lids to heal with the tendency of remaining up/raised. After 7-10 days, he will remove this stitch and the healing will continue.
My peripheral vision will be extremely compromised, but other than that, the vision should return to normal, provided that I do not get any more ulcers on the corneas, which is the whole point to this surgery - it's supposed to aid in preventing that.
After the surgery is done on both eyes, hopefully, the right cornea will heal and clear up enough for my regular eye doctor to remove the cataract, so vision can be restored in that eye. But we'll have to wait and see how the cornea does first.
Overall, it will be a long process, but, as I have been saying, I am SO VERY BLESSED to have the friends and family God has given me! I would not be able to face this without their loving support and encouragement!
Thank you all again for you prayers!
Love to all of you,
Debbie :)

No comments:

Post a Comment